At Gearhead Workspace, your safety is our most important priority. Working on cars can be challenging, rewarding, and fun-but it can also be dangerous. Please read and observe the following safety rules. We all love driving, but nobody likes driving to the hospital.
- Please listen and follow all requests by Gearhead staff. We are here to help you!
- Cars may only be moved inside the shop by Gearhead staff. A Gearhead staffer will move your car to and from the work bay, and raise or lower the car to the level that you request. Regardless of your level of experience, our insurance requires this policy. There are no exceptions.
- A Gearhead staffer will check you in and inspect your workbay before you begin work. You are responsible for any missing tools that cannot be accounted for when you check out. Any missing tools will be billed directly to your account.
- All tool breakages must be reported to a Gearhead employee. Any tools that break under normal working conditions will NOT be the responsibility of the customer, provided they are reported to a Gearhead staffer before your session ends.
- ALL SPILLS must be reported to a Gearhead staffer immediately.
- All fluids must be drained into their specific, designated containers, which are provided in every workbay. Please ask a Gearhead staffer if you are unsure which container to use.
- Please refrain from running your vehicle inside the building. If extended running of your vehicle will be necessary to effect a proper repair, please notify a Gearhead staffer before your visit.
- Anyone wishing to use welding/cutting/heating equipment must pass a safety course.
- Please clean excess mud/dirt/debris from your vehicle before bringing it to Gearhead Workspace. It keeps our shop clean and your repairs easy!
- Anyone who appears to be under the influence of alcohol or drugs will not be permitted into the workshop.
Do I need to be a professional mechanic to work on my car?
No! Gearhead Workspace provides professional level equipment, allowing the highest level of service and repair to be performed at our shop. But we also provide professional level advice to all of our customers, regardless of skill level or size of job! Our techs take the intimidation and mystery out of car repair, and take the time to teach to your level of experience. We are not just mechanics, we are also educators! Stay tuned for our Gearhead University classes which will help you tackle a whole range of automotive projects.
How long do I need to do what I’m doing?
If you aren’t sure how long a job will take we encourage research and an early start time. We are also happy to talk to you about a planned job to help give you an idea of how long it should take. That being said, things don’t always go the way we plan. We keep some slack in our reservation system to prevent someone else’s overage from delaying your reservation and we also offer limited short-term storage for a fee.
I’m not a member, can I still come to Gearhead Workspace?
Can you just fix my car like a regular repair shop?
Unfortunately we are not able to work on your car directly. We offer a Mechanic as a Coach option where you can have a mechanic guide you through your work for an additional fee. We can help you source parts and, if necessary, help connect you with an independent mechanic who can repair your car in our shop.
I’m in the middle of fixing my car and I need a part. What do I do?
Gearhead Workspace has relationships with multiple parts vendors. We can get your part, often with same-day delivery! Talk to a Gearhead staffer about any parts needs you may have. We can help!
I have a lucky wrench that I use for everything. Can I bring in my own tools?
Yes! While we will strive to provide you with all the tools you need, if you have something special that you prefer to work with, feel free to bring it with you.
I need a special tool for this job, do you have special tools?
Gearhead Workspace offers a full range of professional-quality automotive service tools for your use. In addition to our industry-leading selection of hand and air-tools included with each reservation, we also offer a wide range of pullers, testers, scanners, and other gadgets that help you do the job right. Please ask a staffer for any special tool you may need, chances are we have it!
Is membership right for me?
Gearhead Workspace membership offers you a variety of benefits. You’ll get discounted time in the workshop, access to our member lounge, discounted classes at Gearhead University and Mechanic as a Coach services, as well as access to our Car Locator services! You’ll also get exclusive access to members-only events and the opportunity to apply for our 24 Hours of LeMons team.
I’m thinking about installing a hyperdrive booster on my 1983 Chevette, you think that’ll work?
Our Gearhead Workspace staff knows cars inside and out, and loves to help our customers achieve their dreams. If you are planning a project, or need some advice on modifications, repairs, or restorations-schedule a consultation with one of Gearhead’s Project Assistants today. We can help you source parts, match components, and even help you locate and purchase your dream car! From mild to wild, Gearhead Workspace has the knowledge to make your dream a reality.